It's fun, you know, to look at your past and say, "Now I know why that happened! " It's not so fun, though, when you're in the middle of not knowing, wandering aimlessly for what feels like forever, trying to figure out what's next. I was on the brink of quitting my job in Aurora with SunHealthcare Group all together because between the drive and the population I was serving there was miserable. I felt like I was wandering aimlessly just trying to make it through another week, wondering what was next (there HAD to be something better). Then, another speech therapist at Bear Creek put in her 2 weeks, and viola! An opportunity to move back to where I first began my life as an SLP, almost a year and a half later - and I jumped on that chance. So, as the plan stands right now, I'm back at Bear Creek (about a 9 min drive from my front door) until something better comes along. I don't quite know what purpose I served driving to Aurora everyday, but I do hope that I can discover an "ah ha!" moment in the near future so that my time there doesn't seem in vain (which I feel like right now).
So, the title of this post is a song that I posted a few weeks (months, maybe?) back and it has gathered some meaning in my life right at this moment. I do feel like the proverbial windows are rolled down in my life, and for the first time in a while I feel fresh air. A new chance, a new chapter in our lives here in Denver. Or maybe Golden....? Mike is driving to Golden everyday and then taking the bus up to Boulder. It's free. It's easy, but it is time consuming. Yes, the Golden, CO that the massive Coors Brewery resides. But beyond that, Golden is quite charming, has a great downtown, is in a good location for our jobs, and has some affordable housing. We are having quite the marital debate of rent/buy but the area we both agree on, SCORE one for meeting in the middle. We thought we'd be moved out of our house by summer camp, but that may not happen, which is fine. We are certainly not going to move for the sake of moving......we'd be crazy.
So, as for now I am awaiting my dream job - a hospital position (inpt or outpt, at this point I'd do either). There are certainly plenty of hospitals in Denver metro, but finding one on the west side of town that will hire a fairly new SLP is different. I've discovered here that SLPs in the hospitals are pretty experienced and FAITHFUL. They don't leave, therefore those jobs don't open up, and when they do the competition is pretty fierce. My gameplan is to work for Bear and try to get a PRN weekend position in a hospital close and then work my way in the system with that hospital. I've had several contacts with hospitals and filled out a couple applications, but nothing has worked out. I'm waiting to hear back from a potential PRN next week. My point is, I'm content where I am now and even if I have to work there through the summer.....I'm not spending 1 1/2 hrs on the road commuting. YAY! You don't realize what a burden driving is until you don't have to do it much. Plus, I'm considering really buying a bike this time because there is a path that goes to downtown Morrison without getting on a major highway. Mike needs a bike, too. We do live in Colorado, I'm pretty sure everyone has a bike but us.
I will conclude with a pretty funny video of Josh and Beth Graham's dog named Monty. We love them and were happy they came to visit. Next up on our list? A trip HOME! We are going home for a wedding Derby Weekend and a quick visit with the family. Then Mike gets sucked into summer camp and we'll see ya in August. His schedule is actually not that bad this year 10 days on and 5 days off..... I'll take it!
I love you, Love Wins!
I'm SO happy to hear (see) that you are back at Bear! And no longer have to tolerate that poopy drive! Things are looking up, my friend! Keep on keeping on! :)
ReplyDelete