Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tim Tebow.

So, I snagged the newest edition of 5280 Magazine from work because it had the "Mile High Messiah" a.k.a Tim Tebow on the front. This #15 has caused quite a stir in the Mile High City, and I have yet to figure out why. Yes, the kid is a college football genius and had an amazing college football career - but what makes him so popular? Especially when he is 3rd string quarter back (behind Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn)! Regardless, Mike and I were talking about his very public faith (so did the article in the magazine) and concluded that his relationship with the Lord and positive, yet humble, attitude will be a good thing for the Broncos - and even more for the city of Denver. The downtown part of Denver has 0 churches; I belive our pastor called it a "black hole". We're not in the  Bible Belt any more.


Here, take this quote: (oh good gosh, I have forgotten all of my formatting for inserting a quote into the middle of a paper, Mrs. McComas, please forgive me)

" Football is just a platform for me," he says, alluding to his very public faith. "The games are a bonus. But I also recognize that to keep that platform, I have to perform. I think Denver fans will see how willing I am to work hard to make sure I keep it." He pauses. "I think I can make it work."
   And there it is, plainly stated, appropriately humble and yet supremely confident. What, or where, does this come from? Does it come from the fact that he has always been told he was a golden boy - the Golden Boy - and he can't understand a universe in which he isn't the best? Or does it come from within, from his God, from an inner confidence that only he understands? 

You see, I don't think the author of this article understands the Christian faith. This "what works for you" attitude is clearly what people in Denver like to assume upon everyone when it comes to "religion". If you are a Christian and that's what "works for you" then great. If you believe in meditation and karma and that "works for you" then fabulous. Whatever makes you happy...basically. Mr. Tebow - if you could, please, stand up for Jesus. Be very public about your faith in the Lord and continue to love Our God on the bench, to your teammates, and to this city desperate to hear the truth. And, it's okay if you're a virgin (just wanted to put that in there), it's actually a pretty cool thing.


I FINALLY have my husband home from 9 weeks of summer camp. Praise the Lord! It was a tough summer, but I think my little hubby touched the lives of many, many campers and counselors. Although it wasn't a faith-based camp - I know that Jesus was glorified in his life and hopefully those around him were able to see a difference.  It was a blast traveling to and fro - through the little town of Nederland (where I got a speeding ticket) - through the woods that hold crazy guys with guns - through little local bars - and through very large moose that graze in the local ponds. The Lord's plan will always prevail. 


And right now, I feel like our lives are open for the next step - whatever that may be. There is an old Audio A song that says, " I wanna be your hands, I wanna be your feet. I'll go where you send me, go where you send me." My Lord, I will go where you send me, er, us. I love you. Love Wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment